Thursday, November 1, 2007

Eve of all Hallows, Day of all Saints

Well, halloween came and went. We attempted to recreate the spirit here in Studentenstadt, and succeded to a degree. We trick-or-treated throughout our fair Student City, visiting each persons building for goodies. It was very cold, and one girl made Gluhwein (hot German spiced wine), mmmmm. Another building also featured hot cider, good stuff. Jammed out on Wharf Rat for a while, that Asus2 chord is a pretty nifty place on the guitar I must say. Fun to hang around there. It's probably a bad thing to be in this habit of just diddling along with Grateful Dead songs, since I should be attempting to become competent at barring. I am bar-challenged. I cannot play bar chords if my life depends on it. I can barely change to C minor and maybe an F or F sharp. I read some scary horror stories of guitarist playing for twenty years and never really being able to bar. And playing eight note melodies to Dead songs all day sure isn't helping any. I got my first package from my parents yesterday (Happy Birthday Mom!), and I've already almost decimated the dried fruit found therein. I also received some CD's from Dad, some mighty fine CD's. Today is All Saints Day, which in Germany is a national holiday, and we have no classes. Hopefully this fellow on our program who plays Ukelele and I are going to jam later, and its a surprisingly sunny winter day. Maybe we'll throw on some pullovers and let our melodies ring out over the cold Munich air. Or maybe we'll contain amateur hour to the indoors.
We were going to head out to Berchtesgaden tommorow (Nazi party leader retreat/vacation town) and see The Eagle's Nest, but we found out that is is closed for winter. It would have been neat to ride in that gold-plated elevator up to Kelsteinhaus, guess it'll have to wait 'till the fervent tides of spring. This album "Rear View Mirror" by Townes Van Zandt is plain amazing. I recommend it. Some people and I are going to make dinner soon. Until next time my friends.

3 comments:

Mark Porter said...

Hey Zeke! Mark Porter here. Your Dad sent me the address for your site and WOW! I am behind the times I guess cuz I didn't know you could do all this! Pretty Darn Cool! I enjoy imagining all the wonderful memories you are making! Be well! Many Blessings!

Mark

Levi J. Bobbitt said...

Hey Zeke, good to see you are keeping your blog updated -- even though you hate them. It's exciting to check on someone else's site for a change and see what they're doing. I have you linked from my blog: http://levijosephbobbitt.blogspot.com as one of my favorite links. Hope you are doing good in Germany buddy. Thanks for calling me the other night... hope you are doing better. Take good care!

sara irene said...

Well, I hope you drank lots of water with all that dried fruit... I wonder if anyone found a Kurbis to carve for the big scary one? I sliced up an evil winky lantern and tried to put a picture of it here, but my blog-photo skills are evidently not up to snuff. The wood cookstove is cracklin and little Ruby border collie is frolickin with her sock monkey and the fresh pear-apple sauce is jarrin and life is good nestled here in the Wallowas.