Sunday, December 16, 2007

"I like those cold, gray winter days. Days like these let you savor a bad mood."

So sayeth Bill Watterson. Winter has fallen on Munich, or so I have been told. Previously I was under the impression that the increasing frequency of cold, bleak, and bloody cold days were simply the vengeful wrath of an angry God, directed - as it were - at our moral listlessness. I had been hard at work reforming my sinful ways, that the true, wondrous, snow painted Bavarian Winter might be restored, when I was informed that both bone-chilling wind and soul-numbing cold are but mundane occurrences in a mild Bavarian winter. With the terrifying concept of still "wintery-er" months ahead comes the hollow promise that more snow generally corresponds to less wind. I only hope more snow can help magnify what minimal sunshine we've been receiving. Perhaps raising it to a level beyond that which is produced by bioluminescent fish, residing somewhere in the Mariana Trench.

I've been neglecting my blog. I'm not sure what that says about my character, but hopefully things will change. I've created a rather unruly collection of writings and ramblings, many of which I intend to edit and procure for thy reading pleasure. Until then, I hope this small update is not found wanting.

The students on my program organized a Thanksgiving dinner, which turned out quite delicious. With some help from our program director we rented out and decorated a cool room above a library, wherein we fest-ed and feasted well into the night. My Ukelele-Playing comrade and I even provided fare of a musical nature - assuaging the gradual end to sip and sup.

Things have become somewhat routine of late, something not entirely unwelcome after a few months of travel and exploration. My time has been primarily spent studying, reading, writing, and most importantly: playing music. I've been playing guitar more than ever, and though I am happy with my progress, I have decided to finally seek out some lessons, a task which has been hanging ominously o'er my "to do list" since arriving in frozen land. I played my friend's steel string the other day and have also resolved myself to find one for myself. Though I have enjoyed checking out a classical guitar, I simply cannot play the kind of music I want to play on it.

I am heading to Stuttgart for Christmas to visit some family friends. I've been told that one can find both snow and sunlight there, and look forward to playing music with the lord of the manor.


Now is the time for sleep, but I intend to both report on the holidays and throw up some of my more recent pieces when I return. I hope all is well with all ya'all Stateside, and my very best holiday wishes go out to everyone bothering to read this blog. Those who aren't reading it...well, I suppose they could enjoy themselves as well, for now.


Frigidly,



EZ

1 comment:

sara irene said...

A frozen wind wreaks mortal danger
but worse am I intimate stranger.
Knowing scant morality's form
I blunder on through human storm
regarding not a neighbor's need
an earthly hunger I will not feed
yet climb to heights in glory full
to find the summit void and null.