Thursday, January 3, 2008

Last evening in Wannweil

Well, tonight was my last night here in Wannweil, a sad day indeed. I have enjoyed my time here more than I could have ever imagined. The Buck Family made me feel right at home and were nice enough to briefly adopt this giant American for the holidays. I've been postponing my return to Munich - and subsequently my return to study - as long as possible, but tommorow, unfortunately, I must be going. So far I have met innumerable friends, cousins, nieces, nephews, second cousins, grandparents, and, finally, one great aunt.

I've enjoyed countless family traditions, long conversations well into the night, endless poker games, and a few rowdy blues sessions featuring Matthias Buck on the Blues Violin. I've learned a unbelievable amount of German in the short time I was here, and cannot wait to return quite soon.

I'm bound to write more about the last amazing couple of weeks later, but for now I need to sit back and let it all ruminate a while. I can say with certainty, however, that I have felt for the first time that I was at home in this foreign land. It was as if -- having finally pierced some sort of cultural shell -- I suddenly became aware that these people aren't Germans, they are just people, and, being friends of our family, are pretty much my kind of crazy. I can't wait to come back.

No comments: